Cogito, ergo sum. I think, therefore I am. (René Descartes, mathematician and philosopher,1599-1650)

Saturday 15 February 2014

Lockington's Everyday Fiji ... Life Goes On

Vunato Dump



I was at the Vunato rubbish dump in Lautoka and as usual people were there. I have been told that lots of them rummage around in the dump, find things of value and sell them. Whole families were there and most were well protected.
.

One day late. Happy Birthday,  Allen. 
While the dump is out of bounds it is almost impossible to stop people coming in.The authorities have an impossible job keeping them away. Poverty is one of the reasons for people going to the dump.

By the way, I was quite surprised to see good pieces of cloth and material at the dump - no wonder people go there, its like going a supermarket.

If you want to see humanity, go to a rubbish dump.

Allen Lockington is a self-employed customs agent and business consultant who has regular articles published in Fiji. I thank Allen for permission to reprint some of them in this political blog. They remind us that life goes on, whatever the political situation. And it's good to know that.

No comments: