Cogito, ergo sum. I think, therefore I am. (René Descartes, mathematician and philosopher,1599-1650)

Saturday 24 March 2012

Lockington's Everyday Fiji ... Life Goes On

Allen Lockington is a self-employed customs agent and business consultant who has regular articles published in Fiji. I thank Allen for permission to reprint some of them in this political blog. They remind us that life goes on, whatever the political situation. And it's good to know that

                     Levuka Public School

I know of many schools in Fiji that have excellent ex-students associations. The ex-students who have returned after leaving school to give back to the place where they got their education usually come back because of their desire to lift standards of the school and also help out in sports and facilities.

One of the best moments is the school reunion where people come back after many years and many children later to see how their friends are. We all prosper in different ways and for those who were dedicated they return slim and with a happy family with the children attending their old school.

Some schools have been dependent on theses old scholar because many of them now hold high posts in government or are executive managers in the private sector. And then you have those who have their own business and are faring well.

Levuka Public School just had its dormitory burnt down   and I do hope that the  authorities will move quickly to rebuild because the lives and welfare of the students can be affected. I am not an ex student of LPS but I spent four years working on Ovalau and had become part of the school in sport, especially cricket where I took up the bat having left Marist in 1976. I attended many fund raising functions and social evenings over there. The school is steeped in history and I am glad that I was able to read many of the things written about the school.

Levuka Public School has a place in my heart and I will cherish the memories that I was with their cricket team. I still have lumps on my head where the cricket ball hit me. Because the LPS ex scholars knew an ex Marist would be a good batsman. But I'll leave out the details. Please help rebuild the dormitory.

No comments: