Cogito, ergo sum. I think, therefore I am. (René Descartes, mathematician and philosopher,1599-1650)

Saturday 2 July 2011

Lockington's Everyday Fiji ... Life Goes On

Allen Lockington is a self-employed customs agent and business consultant who has regular articles published in Fiji. I thank Allen for permission to reprint some of them in this political blog. They remind us that life goes on, whatever the political situation. And it's good to know that. 

FFA Furore




I was bemused when I read the article about the FFA “furore”. It seems that national soccer coach Claudio Canosa isn’t happy with the way the Fiji team is/has being selected.

Sports in Fiji seem to take the same road where the coach doesn’t have full authority when choosing the national team. Heck, is this the universal way of choosing a national team? I wonder what happens when other countries choose their national team. Do they do it like Fiji where the coach takes the first selection for runs and training sessions and then he chooses his best, hands the list to management and they have the final say? I have to ask, why? Does the management also run with the team; are they present at the training clinics, the bonding sessions, the camps, the classroom lessons, the long jogs on the road? Do they know each individual’s skills, health status, mental capability, fitness and endurance? I wonder if this the universal way a national team is selected. We saw this happen in the Sevens team, so I’m told, I wonder if it is done in netball, volleyball, hockey and all other sports in Fiji where the coach makes a section and then management also makes a selection. I could be wrong, but it’s a funny way of doing things.

But if this is the way it’s done, then no wonder Fiji soccer is where it is today. And may I suggest that we never hire another coach but just employ trainers to take the boys through the basics and fitness and let the management do the selection. If we do it like this, we spare ourselves the headache, spare a coach from being a puppet and we save on the coaches pay and pay the trainer.

No comments: