Cogito, ergo sum. I think, therefore I am. (René Descartes, mathematician and philosopher,1599-1650)

Saturday 5 December 2009

Lockington's Everyday Fiji ... Life Goes On

 Allen Lockington is a self-employed customs agent and business consultant who has regular articles published in www.connectme.com.fj/news/opinion. I thank Allen and Connect for permission to reprint some of them in this political blog. They remind us that life goes on, whatever the political situation. And it's good to know that.

Life Does Go On


I was on one of my walks around Lautoka on Monday in one of the less traveled roads when I spotted a Lady Bird amongst the wild flowers. I was delighted to see it. 

But I was surprised because I thought they had died out. I haven't seen them for awhile. I remember during my primary school days in Suva Street there were Lady Birds everywhere. When one would land on us we would sing "Lady Bird Lady Bird fly away, your house is on fire, your children are gone." How apt is that nursery rhyme - their habitat is slowly going. They seem to have disappeared like the butterfly that would be seen everywhere. When a butterfly comes into the house it would signify the imminent arrival of a visitor. Butterflies are a rarity now. However, recently the only ones that come home have either lost their way or are injured, because visitors never come. Oh yes I was brought up on those interesting “legends.” Many of our little insects can no longer be seen in urban areas because of what we call development. Their habitats have been destroyed. Just like New York, Tokyo and London, our “jungle is turning to concrete.”

Further on I noticed the pandanus trees that line Drasa Avenue adjacent to the Botanical gardens. As I walked pass I got a whiff of a sweet smell and saw the trees bearing yellow and orange fruit and birds were everywhere eating them. I said to myself, “Oh my goodness another sign of life.” Living in Veisari I used to go into the coastal bushes to cut the green leaves for my mum. She would weave mats and baskets that we would sell on the road. Mat and basket making is a dying art. We would stand in the sun and wait for cars or busses. If we sold a couple of baskets we were rich. Yes four dollars was very powerful. It was two dollars a basket. Well it was the early 70s and for us in Veisari cars were like airplanes only every so often one would go pass on the gravel road. We would return home covered in dust but satisfied we had sold something.  It was smiles all round because we now had reason to go to the shop. Yippee our rourou will have tinned fish - we were in heaven. Oh how wonderful we would have butter and milk for a few days. (Sniffle, sigh)

I digress, the pandanus usually grows on the coastal areas but there are a few trees growing in the heart of Lautoka. Our coastal areas are also making way for development, but it’s good this coastal plant is able to grow in-land. We still have hope; we can still make mats and baskets.

As for mangoes they are not as plentiful as last year.

Somehow that Lady Bird tells me there is still hope and yes life goes on however humble and tough things may be.