Cogito, ergo sum. I think, therefore I am. (René Descartes, mathematician and philosopher,1599-1650)

Saturday 12 September 2009

Lockington's Everyday Fiji ... Life Goes On


Allen Lockington is a self-employed customs agent and business consultant who has regular articles published in www.connectme.com.fj/news/opinion. I thank Allen and Connect for permission to reprint some of them in this political blog. They remind us that life goes on, whatever the political situation. And it's good to know that.

Beautiful Edinburgh Drive

I drove up Edinburgh Drive after about 15 years and marveled because it had always been a beautiful road. Well, I suppose with the road being named after Edinburgh in Scotland and it's association with the Duke of Edinburgh and royalty.

But I was accosted by the stench of rotting vegetation when I stopped to take a picture of Walu Bay. A passerby had a mask over his face and I wondered if it was because of the Pandemic H1N1. He looked like an outlaw cowboy. The only thing missing was the horse and six-shooter.

When he greeted me, he said, “You OK with the smell?” I said that I had just arrived from Lautoka after 15 years and was taking pictures. I congratulated him for taking precautions because of the pandemic H1N1 and he said, “No. This is for the bad smell coming from the discarded peas from a factory in Walu Bay.

So that was the smell. Hasn’t anyone capable of doing something, done anything? If it had been Lautoka, the mess would have been cleaned up long ago.

No comments: