Cogito, ergo sum. I think, therefore I am. (René Descartes, mathematician and philosopher,1599-1650)

Saturday 15 August 2009

Lockington's Everyday Fiji ... Life Goes On

Allen Lockington is a self-employed customs agent and business consultant who has regular features in Connect and the daily newspapers. This is a letter to the Fiji Times. I thank Allen permission to reprint some of them in this political blog. They remind us that life goes on, whatever the political situation. And it's good to know that.

When Poverty Disappears, Magic in the Air

I WENT to the Farmers Carnival in Lautoka to see what bargains were available. There were stalls selling food, books, sweets, clothes and a few had games of chance. From one stall came the sound of preaching but the gambling stall was more full.

Then I came across a stall that said 'Magic'. The gentleman said he was from India. He was showing a few girls some magic where money would appear in their hands and they would give it to him. Many people would come and money would appear in their hands. People were hooked.

I watched him put a die at the bottom of an upturned plastic cup and pile two more on it. When he lifted the cup the die was on the table. He would do it again and the die would disappear.

Then I overheard some people grumble about the cost of living and the cost of fuel as they ate their BBQ chops, washed it down with soft drinks and puffed on cigarettes.

I wanted to know how that man was doing his magic so I could be like him - make some money.

Magic was there all right, poverty had disappeared.

...Life Goes On will be published every Saturday for the next few weeks...


No comments: