Cogito, ergo sum. I think, therefore I am. (René Descartes, mathematician and philosopher,1599-1650)

Sunday 21 June 2009

(o) Media Free-run: Typical TVNZ News Coverage of Fiji


NZTV1 News has just finished. It included a two minute feature on Fiji with Australian Foreign Minister Stephen Smith predicting the imminent collapse of the Fiji economy, due to the world crisis and mismanagement, with a fleeting camera shot of you-know-who still in military uniform, the odd soldier or two, and a series of shots of a squatter settlement, replete with raggedly dressed children and a "grocery" store containing one lonely tin of food, included, presumably, as visual proof of Fiji's economic collapse. Tomorrow I expect my neighbour -- who watches TV to keep up with the news -- to tell me that's what happens in dictatorships, all that poverty and tin shacks. I'm tempted to reply, "You can always have proper gander if you've got the proper geese!" but I won't. He's a typical well meaning Kiwi bloke.

No comments: