Cogito, ergo sum. I think, therefore I am. (René Descartes, mathematician and philosopher,1599-1650)

Friday 13 March 2009

(o) Media Did Distort What Ambassador McGann Said

I've now had the opportunity to read the Ambassador's speech in the original. I thought his remarks were totally appropriate for a speech on the occasion of Prophet Mohammed's birthday. Almost all the speech was on American-Muslim relations, and on religion freedom. He barely mentioned the Fiji political situation but what he did say, the media misrepresented, as I had supposed. The misrepresentation cannot have been accidental. Read the speech for yourself by clicking here. Then compare it with my posting and those of the media.

A commentator on my original post thought my emphasis on "semantics" missed "the larger point .. the media failed [to raise the issue] ..."the US does not call for democracy in China, Saudia Arabia; why then does the US State Dept have a different standard for Fiji?" This, of course, is a valid question but the issue I raised was the probable distortion by the media of what the Ambassador actually said about Fiji. Playing with words is more than semantics when they are changed, wrongly used, for a "cause", and repeated over and over again. This is called propaganda.

No comments: